Shenfu Waterfront Retail

Circles + The Wave

Shenfu, in China’s north, is a completely new city defined by the energy, passion and enthusiasm of the local people. At the core of Shenfu is a brand new lake, and giving life to lake and city alike is BTA's leisure, dining and retail center, theWave. Shenfu is soon to build a major exhibit hall, a visitor and investor center of sorts, on the site. Though the hall has been designed by others, BTA’s goal is to celebrate the center, create a whirlwind of pedestrian activity around it, and display the best of Shenfu’s lifestyle, leisure and entertainment offerings residents, interested visitors and potential investors alike.

Client : Shenfu Development

Scope : Concept Design + Master Planning

Architect : Brent Thompson, Gunnar Jung

Project Date : 2008

Waterfront Retail Done Right

theWave is appropriately named as its swirling walls of rusted Corten steel and glass ripple, curve and roll as they create a vortex centered on the exhibit hall; move people through the space, focus activity in a central public “square,” and frame scenic views of the lake. The exhibit hall will display Shenfu’s plans for the future. theWave will display Shenfu’s heart.

Experiences Sell

BTA has learned from our experience working for Disney that experiences sell. People pay for experiences. Moreover, people pay far more to extend those experiences. 30% of Disney’s income comes from ticket fees. The remaining 70% comes from retail, food, beverage and hotels. EVERY major attraction that Disney builds includes F+B and retail. Why? Because not only do people like to extend experiences by eating, drinking and buying merchandise, but they also spend far more doing so than they would online. They pay far more for the same products. This is the Offline advantage.
Our Legacy is

Thinking Differently

By Thinking Differently and Designing Experiences, we have Created Success the world over. We have created incredibly successful theme parks like much of Tokyo DisneySea, Warner Bros. Madrid and a major attraction for Universal Studios Florida. We’ve created Malibu estates and designed a palace for the King of Saudi Arabia. We masterplanned Korea’s Alpensia Resort so that it could host the 2018 Winter Olympics. And it did. If you watched those Games, you’ve seen our work. We designed a visitor’s center for Time Warner in the heart of New York City, and master planned universities and cities with a focus on the people who will study and live there. Think Differently, Create Experiences, Succeed. It’s what we do.

Think. Create. Succeed.